Tuesday, March 3, 2015

[Painting] - Smash Ball

Smash Ball token is used as a "seal" to the amiibo storage doors but it can probably  be used for many other decorative purposes. I haven't painted in a long time so I'm probably quite rusty. 
Preparing to paint.
 I brought a pack of 2 round disks with a diameter of 2-3/8". I will only be using one for this process. Red and white acrylic paint since that's the color of the smash ball I wanted. Liquids shown are water and brush cleaner. Other materials not shown are masking tape, scissors and a flat brush. I don't have painter's tape but masking tape worked fine for me.

I watered down the white and red paints a bit. Only required about 2-3 drops else it gets too watery.


Many layers of white to hide the wood color. This is about 7 layers.

Added masking tape to the wood and around the edges. Painted about 3-4 layers of red on top. This is layer 2.

Done with painting red. Once dried, will peel off tape.

Not too bad. Fixed it up with some white and red paint. Mostly white to smooth it out evenly.

Sealed with a clear semi gloss finish for wood. 3 layers.
I had a choice between gloss and semi gloss and I opted for the semi gloss in case gloss was too glossy. I didn't have any matte finish which I should probably invest in if I want to paint the amiibos in the future.

Now what to paint the other disk...

No comments:

Post a Comment