Monday, March 2, 2015

Amiibo Storage - Part 2

Finished product with a few amiibos.

Part 2 took about 4-5 days to complete but it was worth it. It would take only a few hours if I redid it again. The outer layer is over the layer in Part 1. The point is to protect the amiibo's from getting too dusty. I do play with them so it couldn't be too difficult to open.

The box cap in Part 1 was only 3" thick which was too small for Bowser. This one had to be 4" thick to accommodate Bowser. I cut the cardboard down to a smaller size I needed and measured the length by placing it over the Part 1 box. I crossed checked often to make sure that the sizing is correct.

Door with short side. Measures 12" x 13.5". Side is 4" and door is 9.5". The actual door is slightly smaller since I miscalculated. It should be 9.25" instead.

It took a few tries to get to the actual product. First, I thought 4 pieces of cardboard for the sides and 2 pieces for the doors would be a good option. However, I had no hinges and did not feel like making one. Instead, I used cardboard which was already bent such as the corner of a box.

Long side piece which measures 4" x 17.5".
All pieces.
1" bezel. Need to cut out the middle.
One door.
Both doors.
Time for hot glue.
Connecting joints.
Getting there.
All connected!
 At this point, I wanted to cover it up with something white. I tried using a old fabric curtain and hot glued it to the sides but I could see the hot glue even when it was dried. I ripped off which caused some cardboard to peel off. Then I had an idea that duct tape would work. So, I went out and got some white duct tape (I only had black) and it worked.

Lots of duct tape used. Conserved some by not taping areas that will be covered by the box in Part 1. Have to be careful due to box being really easy to bend.
For the door window, I cut a 10.5" x 8" vinyl and duct tape it down on the inside of the door.
Doors are done!
I got cheap magnets with adhesive on the back. I cut the long piece down to get the two smaller pieces. 
Long pieces goes on the duct tape box in the middle. Done on both top and bottom.
Smaller pieces are for the doors. Done on both sides.
This is done but I wanted to add a bit more to it.
Magnets added to the door and the smash ball.
Back side of smash ball.
Now the Smash Amiibo Box is done! 
Back side. I didn't glue the red box down because it wasn't going to fall out at all. Also wasn't sure if I wanted to redo it in the future (Probably not).
With amiibos, ones currently opened and trained.

The smash ball is kind of like a "seal" or lock. I need to get stronger magnets because it tends to fall unless it's in a specific way. The magnets on the doors work great, I would probably super glue or hot glue it down in the future when the adhesive starts to wear off.

The outer layer is thin and I did bend it a few times when I was constructing it. I would probably do another layer  and glue it together before duct taping it together.

Last thing I want to do is mount this to the wall...somehow. I'm not sure how heavy each amiibo I want will be but however I decide to mount it, I will have to make sure it can hold enough weight. Also going to be difficult since I don't want to put holes in the wall.

Enjoy!


Update: This was long done and I fixed the magnet on the smash ball. Those magnets were weak and I found mini magnets which were strong.

Duct tape with mini magnet blends in much better than the old magnets.
Here's the magnet in blue tape to see it, will change it to white duct tape soon. 

The stronger magnet holds up much better than the old magnet.

No comments:

Post a Comment