Thursday, May 29, 2014

Mechanical Pencils Stats and Thoughts

Mechanical Pencils
Here I'll post the stats of the pencil and my personal opinion of the mechanical pencils I own in. Well, the cost might be off depending on how long this has been up. I am measuring the pencils length and weight with my ruler and scale but I don't own a caliper to measure the width of the pencil. I'll be using Jetpens.com width until I own a caliper. Weight is determined by 2 leads inside the pencil.



Pentel Graph 1000 For Pro

Length of Pencil: 14.6 cm
Width at Grip (max): 8.9 mm
Lead: 0.3mm, 0.4mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm, 0.9mm
Weight: 0.39oz
Colors: Color depends on Lead, Color on cap only (0.3mm brown, 0.4mm green, 0.5mm white, 0.7mm blue, 0.9mm orange)
Features: Drafting Pencil, One click lead length equal to diameter of lead, Ergonomic
Cost: $9.60 USD +

Personal Thoughts: Very nice pencil. At first I wasn't sure about the tiny little strip grips but I can't actually tell they're there when I am writing. The long metal tip is nice for precision and writes nicely. The cap has a lead reminder which is nice to have when I use leads other than HB. The one click lead length equal to diameter of lead feature is not really the best when the lead is 0.3mm thick. Feels too little comes out of the barrel and I have to click it a few times to get the right length. It's hard to say if it is actually 0.3mm but it looks about that much. The eraser I'm not actually fond of, it's the same eraser on the Pentel Sharplet 2 and I don't actually like using it. I rarely use the erasers, since I can be anal about having my pencils look almost brand new forever. Only time I use it is if I have forgotten my pencil eraser and really need to erase something. It is a nice pencil, however the cost is just killer for me. I would like to buy more but I don't think that will happen for a long time.


Pentel Graphgear 500
Length of Pencil: 14.1 cm
Width at Grip (max): 9.6 mm
Lead: 0.3mm, 0.5mm, 0.7mm, 0.9mm
Weight: 0.51 oz
Colors: Color depends on Lead
Features: Ergonomic

Cost: $5+

Personal Thoughts: I found this pencil in Hobby Lobby and was shocked! I never knew they sold 0.3mm pencils. So, I brought this with a 40% coupon from their website. (Yay discounts and super excited) The only gripe I have about this pencil is that, it is heavy! Not like crazy heavy but it's almost twice as heavy as most of my other pencils. The metal grip is nice but that's where most of the weight is so it is weighted in the front more. After using it for a few days, I simply had to retire it to my drawer. Other than weight being high, there isn't anything else I don't like about it.


Pentel Sharplet 2

Length of Pencil: 14 cm
Width at Grip (max): 
Lead: 0.5mm, 0.7mm, 0.9mm
Weight: 0.23 oz
Colors: Color depends on Lead(0.5 mm black, 0.7 mm blue, 0.9mm brown)
Features: Ergonomic
Cost: Single ($2.50 USD +), Box ($16 USD +)

Personal Thoughts: One of the mechanical pencils that has brought faith back to me that somewhere in American stores they do sell nice pencils. Before this pencil, I was using the junky, cheap, brought in bulk 0.7mm mechanical pencils. Can't even say how bad they were over time. I still keep at least one on me, for others to use because no one around me understands the amazing love for pencils one can have. It's as if I think of them as my children. Anyways, this pencil writes nicely, feels good to hold but may be a bit thin for some people, and can be brought in bulk. I brought this pencil for about $4 for one at my campus store which is a bit pricy compared to online. It is a older pencil so it might not be as easy to find.


Pilot Airblanc

Length of Pencil: 13.9 cm
Width at Grip (max): 9.3 mm
Lead: 0.3mm
Weight: 0.35oz
Colors: Soft colors (Pink, Orange, Green, Blue, Purple, White)
Features: Cooling Grip, Ergonomic
Cost: $2.80 USD +

Personal Thoughts: It is nice, not sure if the cooling grip actually works since my hands normally don't get very hot. Only comes in 0.3mm lead which works for me since it is my favorite to use now. Writes nicely, comes in different colors which is always a bonus. Little bit shaky where the grip meets the barrel near the middle of the pencil. It doesn't affect writing but if you're anal like me, it probably bugs you with the sound. Not sure if they all come this way, this is just how mine is. For the price, it is worth it.


Uni Kuru Toga

Length of Pencil: 14.2 cm
Width at Grip (max): 10.2 mm
Lead: 0.3mm, 0.5mm
Weight: 0.35 oz
Colors: Various (Black, Blue, Pink, Green)
Features: Auto Lead Rotation
Cost: $4 USD +

Personal Thoughts: This pencil is actually nice, a solid barrel and auto lead rotation feature. It is bulkier than most of my other pencils. I have small hands so it feels a bit too bulky for my tastes. The writing is nice but since I have 0.5mm lead version, it is thicker than the super fine lines that I like. I may get 0.3mm version in the future just to see the difference. I don't actually mind manually turning my pencil when I'm writing but with this I realize I turn my pencil without even realizing I'm doing it. So it kind of counteracts the point of this pencil. For another opinion, my boyfriend says he can feel the pencil rotating and he likes the idea that he never has to turn his pencil. It blew his mind.


Will update this when I get more pencils.

Sources:
Jetpens.com
jstationery.com
Amazon.com
ebay.com
http://www.pentel.co.uk/products.asp?group=3&type=14&pid=133

No comments:

Post a Comment