Monday, May 12, 2014

Coasters

Coasters!

Today,  I looked at my bamboo coasters that I've had for many years now and I wanted to make some myself. So first thing I do is Google how to make coasters. They are really simple to make and I just had the idea of painting pictures on them such as scenery or animals or something. I do not have any spray paint which most of the tutorials require. I doubt it is a good idea for me to sink my money into spray paint right now so one day in the far future, this will happen.

 
The two types of coasters I currently use. Sadly, the dust and small scraps of food always fall into the small cracks.


The easiest type of coasters to make is to use ceramic bath tiles since it's cheap. I would love to do a glass coaster but it be expensive (But imagine the beautiful scenery!). Also I try not to own glass items because I'm prone to breaking it (YAY!). There are also bamboo coasters which are the ones I use, however I cannot paint them.

There seems to be many ways to make a coaster, just depends how much time I would like to spend on it. One way is to glue the picture or pattern onto the tile. The process is called decoupage (I can't even pronounce this). Another way is to cut out a pattern, lay it over the tile (probably want to stick it down), and spray paint it evenly. I'm thinking if I could make a couple of patterns and spray paint them down to make some interesting coasters. Similar to a layer on top of another layer so it doesn't look so plain. Painting the tile from scratch will probably take a really long time but it would look amazing. All of these would have a finishing layer of polycrylic spray paint or decoupage that will complete the coaster. 

I can't wait to start making my own. If anyone has any tips or ideas for coasters, please share. Also if I need to be corrected, please tell me. I only did simple research on this idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment