Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Fan Air Conditioner Project Part 1

Fan Air Conditioner Project

Summer is coming and it is already hot. It was super hot for the past week, and like most people who don't like heat, I couldn't take it anymore. I actually tried this project first on a small desk fan a month ago and it worked except it is a small desk fan so it does not keep the room cooled. I finally gave in and started using the AC but it's expensive to be using AC only in May so I wanted to use a fan. I had my boyfriend order in a pump and it came in yesterday (Yay!). So, we quickly tried it on our small fan and wow it worked like we wanted it to. We did not actually look up in using a pump as a close loop system as there are many tutorials online about it. I found out after the fact when we wished our pump was stronger (Oops). We also didn't own a fan other than a desk fan until yesterday too. Finally went out and brought one, couldn't be happier.

I am not sure how many apartment places are like this but there is only one AC and it is in the living room, not the bed room. This is the second apartment I had that is made this way and I get jealous every time I visit a friend with AC in both living room and bed room that came with the apartment. I wasn't sure if I could even fit a AC in my bedroom window, it is wide enough but it can't be opened up very far. Also I live on the 3rd floor, so heat was always an issue even in the winter.

So, onto the cooling project...


Materials
2x hose clamps
1/4" Outer Diameter (OD) copper tubing
3/8" OD vinyl tubing
Zip ties
Bucket/container for water
210 GPH fountain pump
Fan

Tools
Flathead screwdriver
Sand paper
Hacksaw
Long nose pliers (If necessary)

So, making it really easy. Make sure everything is unplugged first.
1. Start with copper tubing and using a zip tip to secure the start to the face of the fan (I started on the outer side).

2. Bend the copper tubing along the face of the fan and use a zip tie every so often to secure it (I had to use a long nose pliers to reach the zip ties.

3. Once you get to the end of where you want to end it, use a hacksaw or whatever saw you wish and saw off the end (If needed).

4. Sand the end down.

5. Insert the vinyl tubing over the copper tubing. Use a hose clamp to secure it.

6. Cut the vinyl tubing to the length you need.

7. Fill bucket with cold water.

8. Attach pump to one of the ends of the vinyl tubing, I used the outer ring.

9. Place pump into bucket, make sure nothing blocks the entrance to where the water is sucked in.

10. Plug pump and fan in. Turn on fan, and watch it go.

 With this pump, the water comes trickling out of the tube.


Finished fan

Full Completed System


Results
The way we thought the system would work is the water will be sucked up on the side and spit out on top through the vinyl tubing by the pump. The vinyl tubing is connected to the copper tubing that coils around the face of the fan and when it reaches the end, it falls out the end through a vinyl tubing. We used cold water, and that works for about half an hour to an hour. Then it just becomes room temperature water. There are three speeds with this fan and the lowest speed works the best with this set up. The fastest speed blows out normal air instead of cool air since it blows too fast.

After making this, I was already trying to improve it so I turned to the internet and found others have done what I have done but better. So once I get more materials, I will improve upon this system. I need more hose clamps, a cooler(which I'll need for camping soon anyways), and some ice packs. I plan to add copper tubing to the back side of the fan. I may add some to the exit tubing but I'm not sure what the effects are. With a cooler and ice packs, I can keep the water cooler for a longer period of time.

Part 2 of Project

No comments:

Post a Comment