Friday, May 16, 2014

Addiction to Office Supplies Part 1

Addiction to Office Supplies

I know, addiction may be too strong of a word in this case but judge that later. I was going through some stuff online and well...I just love the look of some office supplies. Mainly I try to study Japanese a few times a week, so I write a lot. Seems like this pencil I got not too long ago ended up bent (did not realize how strong I was gripping it). Anyways, I remember I always had a hobby of collecting pencils and journals and stuff. I still have that cup that holds all those pencils I saved from my childhood that is filled with dust too (I refused to use them). As I was reliving the joys of pencils and paper, I was sharing this joy to my "I could care less" boyfriend. As he puts it, it doesn't matter what you use as long as it works. (No worries, I'll get him sucked into the world of where it does matter eventually >:])

So looking around online, I remember browsing through Jetpens.com a while ago so I started there. If those notebooks just were not so expensive, I would get some. It is just cheaper to get it at Kinokuniya store in NYC, whenever I decide to go back home there. However, I did remember some binders I really like on Jetpens and I "may" order some soon.

I really would like a new mechanical pencil and some different leads to try but Jetpens is a little pricier than I would pay. I found jstationery.com and found very similar stuff but not as extensive or expensive as Jetpens. So after deciding I would make a purchase here, I have placed an order.

Cute sharpener, lead case and eraser. All from my sister who didn't want it anymore. I miss those gift shops.

From a new gift shop that opened up about half a year ago and the top one is slightly bent.
From my college store. One of the best pencils I have used in a long time.


What I brought and Reasons
I have always wanted to try a thinner lead pencil but most I can get here is 0.5mm while 0.7mm pencils are way more common in stores. Back in college, only in one of the bunches of stores on campus, one place had the Pentel Sharplet 0.5mm pencil. I have used that pencil for years now and brought a second one when I realized how much I loved it. Worth my campus debit money in every way. Before that, I had cheap mechanical pencils that are brought in bulk and had a tendency to break under weight of textbooks if I just threw it in my bag. I have yet to break my Pentel Sharplet, but I have lost the cap and clip to one of them. I went with the Pilot Airblanc mechanical pencil because it looks so pretty. So to complement the 0.3mm lead pencil is two types of lead. I have never tried either Pentel Stein or Uni NanoDia but jstationery did not offer pentel stein in anything harder than HB so I went standard. I wanted to try H since I like harder leads (least I assume I do).

I was hearing so many good things about the kuru toga mechanical pencil, which is a auto rotating lead pencil, that I had to try it. I didn't want to sink in too much money for it so I went with a cheaper version so I can try it out. I also got Pentel Stein 0.5mm lead in 2H and H since I wanted to know which one I preferred.

The last item I got was the Pilot Birdy Switch mini multi pen which really is not for me, instead it is for my boyfriend. It is my idea to suck him into this vast world of amazing choices in colors, pens, pencils and everything else (Just kidding). No, it is nothing that crazy. I just figured he could use a good looking pen/pencil for when he goes on interviews in the future. Also it's suppose to be his birthday present in about 3 months from now. Oh well, it's not like we ever follow exactly when we're suppose to give things on special occasions anyways. Plus we tend to tell each other what we're getting and is that okay? or what do you want?

EXCITING WAITING PERIOD TIME...


Thought: As a child, I thought it was amazing to choose a pencil I liked and use it. I actually felt attached to my pencil as some kids would be attached to their favorite toys. So, it taught me some sense of responsibility (then again, I'm an addict), so why do those types of stores not exist as much in the US? I remember all those gift shops around where I lived had the option of picking up the pencil and trying it on paper before I brought it (Sadly, every one of them has closed down now). It's a great idea to only buy what you like instead of randomly guessing online since no one sells a lot of the options online in stores. I wonder if people actually had an attachment to their pencil/pen would they actually write/draw more. Thoughts?

To part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment