Thursday, August 27, 2015

[Painting] Totoro in Watercolor

2nd in the series. Probably my favorite among the rest.
Once again, I been challenging myself to one watercolor a day. I am amazed at the results after getting new brushes and cheap 140 lb paper. I am starting to understand which brushes I use more often and what techniques I can use. I realized some techniques will not work with the size of paper/brush I use. There is a ton of trial and error.

Instead of doing landscapes, I wanted to paint something with a character. Totoro seemed easy enough so I decided to try it. Plus I watched the movie again while doing this.

I sketched in the characters and used black watercolor to draw the outlines. Colored in with watercolor and colored in darker for a bit of shading. I realized doing landscape first does not work for me.


1st one. Decided to not outline Totoro with black.
Is it better this way?
3rd one. Right side up. Aiming for a Susuwatari to jump on the other's head.
Or this way?
Flipped it upside down and it looks like one is carrying the other while falling.

4th one. Wanted one with all three in it. 
I still need to work on landscape and shading. I will look into it more next week and see what I can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment