Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX Demo Overview

Originally, I was going to get a Japanese 3DS and buy the Project Mirai games until DX was announced for the west. I did not pay much attention to the mode differences since I thought buttons were better. Now that a demo has been released, the demo was very enjoyable (though small).

Similar to the Project Diva series, this is also another rhythm game. Instead of buttons appearing on the screen, there is a line trail where the buttons will appear on. The goal is to press/tap the correct button to the corresponding button on the screen. At the end of the song there will be a result screen.


There are two modes to play in, Tap Mode and Button mode. Tap mode is easier to play since there is one less tap key on each difficulty.

Easy = 2 button, 1 tap
Medium = 3 button, 2 tap
Hard = 4 button, 3 tap

Dress-up mode is where the character can have their outfit changed.


The demo has two songs, Senbonzakura and LOL -lots of laugh-. I can barely hear the lyrics for both of the songs. The music and button pressing/tapping are loud but the I have difficulty hearing the lyrics. I hope there is a option for this in the full version or else this might be really difficult to play.

The result screen is simple and easy to understand.
Final Thoughts

Differences to Project Diva (Gameplay)
  • There is a tap mode (easier than button mode).
  • There is no extreme difficulty.
  • SP replaces technical zones and chance times.
  • There is no meter for failure.

Even though tap mode is easier, I like the challenge of button mode. I was easily able to play normal difficulty for button mode after the first try. Hard difficulty was difficult due to my reaction to seeing certain color buttons and reacting to it. In Project Diva, the colors were red, blue, purple and green while Project Mirai has red, yellow, green and blue going clockwise from O/A. I accidently kept pressing B thinking it was X (I just realized both X's are blue, just in different positions). As long as I keep playing, I should be able to change my habit.

I can't wait for the full game to be released. It is much better than I thought it would be.


Edit: Nov 6, 2015
Amending changes to Demo:
Differences to Project Diva (Gameplay)
  • There is an Extreme difficulty, for very few songs.
  • There is a failure meter on the bottom screen. (The green bar) I must have missed it before.

No comments:

Post a Comment