Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Hometown Story Overview

A very simple simulation game where the player runs a store. Everything revolves around the store's improvement and there is not much to do after a while. While the game was fun and interesting, it ended up being boring after most of the events were seen. The events were the best part about the game since it felt like progression. The drawback was collecting pieces to the blue feather.

So that is what the preorder bonus was, a plush of Ember.
Story

The story revolves around the player and assistant, Pochica. The player goes to the village after receiving a help letter and finding out grandmother is dead. After arriving, Pochica teaches the player how to run the store and that is the basis of the game.

There are events that will trigger once the condition is met. Conditions tend to require specific key items, friendship level or prerequisite events are seen. Key items can be brought from the 2pm merchant or received after an event. Friendship level can only increase if the character buys something from the player's shop. The events are interesting and it felt as if the game was progressing. After the events, the character's dialogue does not change even if it was drastic.

Chain for more money!...Not much use for all this money.
Gameplay

The player runs a shop which can be upgraded once enough of specific items are sold. Every day (in game time), the player wakes up and  can put items up for sale in the shop before opening. The shop can also be rearrange.

There are very few ways to get items to sell. Foraging in specific locations can yield free money if the item was sold. These items tend to be low in value and on rare occasions, a jewel may be found (worth a lot). Items can be forage every other day. The main way to get items is to buy it from other sellers. When sold in the shop, the items will return a profit. The last way only happens in an event where someone gives an item that can be sold.

Key items can be used to trigger events. The key item could be sold in shop and some events are triggered this way. Another way is to take the key item and go to a specific area to have the event trigger.

Marriage is possible in Hometown Story. In order to view the dating/confession events, a pre-event chain has to be completed. It differs depending on the bachelor/bachelorettes. Once completed, the character will enter the shop at 10am asking the player out (heterosexual relationships only). Marriage can only be initiated if the blue feather is completed.

The blue feather is not easy to complete. Maybe it is, but I have yet to complete it. I have 6/7 pieces and been selling things in my shop for many days but have yet to get the last piece. I have seen all the events except for one. I have seen all three confessions too. The only information I was able to get was to keep selling things in the shop which can be boring. I sit in my shop pressing A the entire time to ring up the customers while doing something else. The feather can be completed multiple times.

I know...all troubles will disappear...oh no!
Final Thoughts

I was excited when this game was released however, I saw the reviews were very negative following its release. I waited for the price to lower which did not take long before I brought it for $15. It took me a while (a year) before I finally played this game. I played about 40 hours as of now and if I play again, I will play as the male character to see the dating/confession events of the bachelorettes.

I did have fun playing Hometown Story. It is a cute and fun simulation game. I was hoping there was more to do similar to Harvest Moon where I could fish or chop down trees but there is no such thing. I always looking forward to triggering events while managing the shop. Now that I saw almost all the events, the fun has mostly ended. I am disappointed that I cannot finish the blue feather. I might put in a few more hours and if I do not get the last piece, I will stop trying.

Recommended for those who like a simple shop simulation game. It does get tedious after a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment