Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Fabric Roll Up Pen Case

Can fit quite a lot of items. Wonder if I should have made it smaller.

Recently, I started to learn calligraphy and I realized I needed a case for my water brushes. I also been using my water brushes on a coloring book. Since I color/write in a different locations, I kept having to transport my brushes back and forth so a case holding these brushes would be convenient.

Buying a pencil case that would fit the taller brushes was a bit expensive (about $18+). I never owned a roll up case and it seemed like a good choice so that was the design I went for. I figured I should make my own to save on costs.

Design inspired by Nomadic Noma Travel Pen Case, Fabric roll up cases, and finishing band from my Compact Game Case.

My requirements:
  •       Able to hold a few water brushes, pencil, eraser, small palette, and paper towel
  •       Three sections approximately equal sizes. Overall size is compact.
  •       Mesh pocket that can fit a small palette

Size of finished product:

Opened: 20cm x 22.5cm (had to be as high as my tallest brush and I decided 7cm plus a bit for folding space was good for the width)

Closed: 20cm x 7.5cm x 1cm (Thickness)

Packed with stuff: 20cm x 8cm


Photos below:
The earliest photo of my progress. Actually, it's the only photo. I kept forgetting to take pictures.

Finished Product - empty.

Empty and opened view.

Back view.

Closed with items inside.
Thoughts
I need to document my process better. Some of it was changed a bit from the original concept. The band was the last decision to make since by the time the case was done, there was no way to keep it closed (Oops). If the band is not in use, I put it in the mesh pocket to prevent myself from losing it.

I been using the case for about a day and it is quite useful. The case is not normally filled to the brim such as I showed in the first picture. I keep a pencil, eraser, two water brushes, and a 6” ruler in it for now. I do not have a mini palette yet for the case but I will soon (when I decide to order the required items) but that will be a topic for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment