Friday, January 29, 2016

Compact Game Card Travel Case (3DS, PS Vita, SD, Micro SD, Stylus)

Small compact case designed and created by me.

It is hard to find a case that can carry a few of each type of cards while keeping it small. When ever I travel, I like to bring a few games with me that I may play. I tend to bring my larger cases with games that are specific to the game console. Sometimes I will bring the old game case I made but I did not make that one to have specific slots to snugly fit each card. Also there was no stylus holder which was a requirement since I have a standard new 3DS with a tiny stylus.

Other side with a small flap holding SD/Micro SD cards held in place by Velcro.
While this design went through many iterations, I settled with a small version. It was originally able to hold twice as many games but I decided against it. Also decided to add the SD/micro SD slots as a flap. I added the band to make it look similar to a book. I may switch to using Velcro if I find the band to be too annoying or if the case needs the extra protection (doubt it).

Specs:
Size: ~10 cm x ~8 cm (Opened)

Can hold:
2 – 3DS Games
3 – PS Vita Games
1 – SD Card
4 – Micro SD Cards
1 – Stylus

3 PS Vita games, 2 3DS games, and a stylus. Very snug.

SD and 4 Micro SD cards.

Thoughts

Things I could change (future iterations)
  • Move the flap to the other side so it is not so bulky on one side.
  • Maybe make the flap able to fit on the inside (will have to enlarge overall size since it would be impossible to fit it with a stylus inside)
  • Make the band tighter. (Easy fix, could just fix it as I am typing this)
  • Make the case about a millimeter or two larger (better fit for cards)
  • Versions with only one type of card slot

After the Lunar New Year (when I get back), I plan to work on this a bit more to finalize the design. I will put a few up for sale (if it looks good) since I tend to make more than I can use. I did the same with my wallet and I still have a pile of rejects (does not look as appealing due to my old sewing machine jamming consistently and terrible tension but the wallet still functions). My new sewing machine is awesome and does not have the same problems as the old one.


Time to test out the durability and see how it holds up on my trip home for the Lunar New Year. It feels sturdy enough but not sure if the card slots will hold up. Will update after.

No comments:

Post a Comment