Tuesday, December 1, 2015

[Crochet] Colorful Star Mini Blanket

Final product. I quite like it.
Winter is almost here and when it gets close, I tend to want to knit/crochet something. This year I decided to crochet a mini blanket for the couch. I was finally able to use some of the yarn that I been hording for years (...and still brought some).

The easiest way to make a blanket is to make granny squares and attach them together. I wanted something that had stars and with the knowledge of regular granny squares, I modified it to look like stars. These are very small granny squares (a little less than 2" each).

About

Yarn: Caron simply soft medium (mainly) and no idea what type Blue/Red/light green is

Hook: 4.25mm for star squares, 5mm for border

Colors: Blue, Bone, Light Green, Mint, Pink, Purple, Red, Yellow, White

Size: 44" x 34" with border

Square Amount: 24 x 20 squares, 60 squares for each of the 8 colors not including white

Border/Finish: Double crochet + Scallop finish

480 squares packs into 2 large Ziploc bags.

Pattern for Star Square (will end up looking curved unless more rounds are added)

Round 1: Magic circle, ch 3, dc 9  into circle, slip stitch to start, end. [10 stitches]

Round 2: Right side up use new color in between any of the stitches in the circle,
dc 2, ch1, skip 2, dc 2, ch1, dc 2, ch1, skip 2, dc 2, ch1, dc 2, ch1, skip 2, dc 2, ch1, skip 2, dc 2, ch1, dc 2, ch1, slip stitch to start, end. [24 stitches]

OR a visual below

And repeat that till enough squares are made. Can also continue on a 3rd row to make it look more like a square.

Legend
ch = chain
dc = double crochet

Did not come out exactly like this (it was a bit messed up from not paying attention and quickly trying to finish it).

Thoughts

This took a month to make. I worked on it whenever I had some time. Designing the blanket was much more fun than making it. It was very tedious making 480 squares. I wanted the blanket bigger but I am out of white yarn and did not want to make any more squares. It works as a lap blanket while sitting on the couch and gaming. It is also warm which is great for winter.

Changes I would make for next time
  • The blanket is quite heavy, I would probably use less squares and make the squares larger with more holes in it.
  • I sewed the backsides of the square together. I would make it more airy and larger with a stitch that would increase the overall size of the blanket next time.
  • Figure out a way to make larger stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment