Thursday, July 10, 2014

Stamps

Stamps

I been collecting stamps since elementary school, about 5th grade. I don't remember exactly when I started but it started with Scholastics where there was a mini stamp album. I brought the stamp album and it came with a book and some free stamps. After reading the book, I sort of understood what to do but best way to know was to try it. Luckily my parents tend to keep a few letters that still have envelopes with stamps on them. 
Stamp book from Scholastics.

Since we don't get letters often anymore, it's really hard to get stamps. After a few years, I finally filled up the first half of the book. Then I just collected stamps as I got them and put them in random places. I mean, anywhere where they slip right in such as books, cases, etc. So now, after all those years I decided to fix up my collection (assuming I had more stamps than I thought) and I had to go find them. I didn't find many stamps but next time I go home, I'll have to dig around to find where I put them.

Cleaning stamps is really easy. Most of it isn't really doing anything at all.

Stamps soaking in water(on left). Stamps left to dry (on right).

Fill a container with water, I use cold water, and place the stamps in. The stamps shouldn't be touching each other. Depending on the type of stamp, it can take longer for the paper to come off. The sticker ones take a lot longer. So, I just step away and do something else for the next hour or so. Once times up, I pick up the stamp with a tweezer and attempt to peel the back off carefully. If the back isn't coming off, I leave in longer. If it comes off then I let it air dry on a paper towel.

Stamp drying on a paper towel.

After the stamp is dried completely, it might be slightly curled. To fix this, grab a book, I usually use a textbook and open it to a random page. Place the stamps neatly at the binding and close the book. Also put a tab on the page so it be easier to find later. I usually let it sit overnight but a couple of hours should work. After they're flattened, take the stamps out the book and it's done!

Stamps in book, ready to flatten. Great use of my Java book for class I never used.
Page I filled up when I was a kid.
The stamps I just did which wasn't many. Also the stamp packet that came with the book.

Simple and easy. I really like the bird ones I have, they're so pretty.  I'll have to wait until next month to see if I have any more stamps. Can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment