Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mini Case for Games

Mini Case for Games

It's been a while since I wrote anything. To be honest, I was in a slump most of last week until I decided I wanted to make a case that holds small things, mainly a few 3DS/DS games, PS Vita games, and memory cards. I'll be travelling in these next two weekends and I just didn't want to carry my entire case back. I mean what are the chances I would want to play about 15+ other games if any at all.

The 3DS case I have is by Hori and it's really nice, compact and holds up to 24 games. However I can't fit that in my pocket easily or in my small bag. It would take up as much space as my 3DS XL. 
Blue Hori 24 Case.
I wanted something more pocket sized and can hold more than just two or four games. I wanted it to be versatile so it didn't have to be specific to only games. I had a few trials with the idea to try to make a mold of what I wanted before I said I would just sew it.

The mold idea did not come out so well. I tried to use clay to make the general shape I wanted it and put imprints of the slot size I wanted but that failed since I couldn't get the indents smooth enough. Then I tried air clay, which was even worse. I used a paper mold of the model I wanted and all I had to do was put the air clay in and let it dry. The clay I got wasn't smoothing out no matter how much water I added. It just kept breaking.

So, after all that frustration, I went with sewing it. At least I am better at it...somewhat. I decided to try to make a picture of Umbreon, designed in electric quilt, into a appliqué. That did not work very well since it was so small. I even tried felt, which worked but I didn't really want that. So, next I wondered if I could print on fabric. Found out I can, so I took freezer paper and cut it to letter size. Ironed on to some white cotton fabric and cut that to letter size too. Before I could print anything onto it, I had to fix the design on the computer before I printed it. Printing was quick and easy. I was amazed how it came out. I had to do a reprint since the first print was slightly too small.

Shiny Umbreon printed on fabric.
I tried to add fray block to the edges. Bad idea! It watered the ink and looked terrible. It wasn't terribly hard to hide it since my reprint was bigger.

I started to make the case from the inside out. That way if I screwed up the inside part, I can just make the outside bigger. So the inside part is nylon wrapped with a mesh with a band on top. I used cardboard to hold the shape because the iron on backing I used was not working.

Mesh lining on nylon fabric. Cardboard to hold shape.
That was the easy part. Next the case, I was having trouble deciding how I wanted the inside to attach to the case. In the end, I decided on Velcro stickers. It works. I also added a rivet so I can put a charm through it. Sewing the zipper was hard by machine so I had to hand sew it. I also added 4 pockets on the inside of the case for memory cards, or anything thin.

Front of the case.
Inside of case. The mesh that's holding the 3DS games is double sided.
Case together with the mesh holder. 
Back of case.
Side of case.
Case comparison.

Comparison to a card. 
I realized that the zipper does not allow the case to open flat. Also cards can fit into this case. However, cards can't be placed in the blue pockets. (It won't close.) The blue pockets can only fit one 3DS game in each but can fit 2 memory cards in  each.

This came out quite nicely. I actually like it since its way more compact and holds more game stuff safely than much of anything else I have. Well the only downside is that I can't drop it in water. It would end terribly. I like how it can be versatile and I don't even have to use it for games. I'll probably try to make a bigger size later to hold my magic deck or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment