Friday, January 22, 2016

[3DS] Pokemon Picross Insights


Pokemon Picross is a free to play eshop game. There are Pokemon elements which makes the puzzles easier to solve. Similar to other free to play Pokemon games, real money can be used to purchase in game currency. It is possible to beat without using any money, it would just take approximately a year or so. Lots of patience recommended if going the route without spending money.

Top Screen: Energy bar (each square filled takes 1 energy), Picrites, Pokemon puzzle information, and Party Pokemon.
Bottom Screen: Pokeball (switches Party Pokemon),  Area information, Alt-World, Tab to more options (Options, E-shop (buying Picrites), Murals, Achievements, Area Select, Daily Training)
Gameplay

Picross is a grid puzzle with numbers on the side of the grid that dictates how many squares are filled in for the row/column. It starts off with a simple tutorial teaching the basics of how to solve the puzzle. Finishing a puzzle will catch the Pokemon. Once caught, the Pokemon can be used to help with the puzzle. The type of Pokemon determines the ability it has.

The size of puzzles (after tutorial) are 10x10 (common), 15x15 (uncommon), 20x15 (rare) Pokemon. There are 30 areas (not including tutorial) with a couple of Pokemon in each area. Each Pokemon offers 4 missions that can yield Picrites (currency of game), or a mural piece. These missions rewards can only be received once.

There are two other modes that have increased difficulty for those wanting a challenge. Mega Evolution offers a new rule to the current puzzle. Instead of filling each row/column with a specific number, it shares two columns and connects adjacently. Alt-World has more challenging Mega Picross puzzles.

Current Thoughts

I been playing Pokemon Picross since it was released without sinking too much money into it (currently, I have spent $0.99). After 5000 Picrites, the entire game will be playable without waiting for energy or Picrites. Since the game does not seem expandable and has little replay value, I decided I can just play the daily training until I saved up enough Picrites to unlock the next area.

I do like picross-like type games as I been playing a bunch of free ones on Android. Pokemon Picross is fun when I am not constantly waiting to be able to play the next stage or waiting for energy. Using Pokemon to help out makes the puzzle much easier to solve (a bit too easy). Unfortunately, to complete the missions Pokemon may need to be used. Once all the missions for a Pokemon is completed, I never replay that stage so replayability is limited to what the missions are.

One thing that still bugs me about the game is not being able to use buttons to navigate on the main screen. Button mode exists for playing in the puzzle but the game constantly ask for a stylus to navigate the screen.

At the rate I am playing, I would not complete the game until a year from now if I diligently remember to play the daily training every day. I have yet to unlock alt-world or mega evolution since they both require a high amount of Picrites. I will not unlock them until finishing all 30 areas. I will update this when I finally finish completing every puzzle.


Recommended for those who like puzzle games and if not willing to spend real money, lots of patience.

No comments:

Post a Comment